Wednesday, July 29, 2015

BBQ Grill Cake


First of all, this picture has been photoshopped to take out the "cracks" in the cake. There was just too much work put into the detail of this cake not to use the picture. That being said, one thing I learned when working with dry ice while working with a cake is to not put the dry ice in the cake until you're ready to use it!!

I had hollowed out the middle of the cake, put a plastic cup inside, then added the dry ice. I boxed it up for transport in a heavy cardboard box. By the time I arrived at the venue, however, the frigid temperature of the dry ice had hardened my fondant and caused cracks! (There was already one crack in the front from experimenting with the dry ice before I left for delivery, but I did not realize it was the dry ice at the time.)

Here is a video link showing the "smoke" and "fire" in the cake:

Would I use dry ice again? I am not sure. It was expensive ($25 for 10 pounds) when all I needed was five small chunks altogether. I had to track down someone who sold it and pre-ordered it several days before I needed it. It seemed to be a big production. Then you have to take liability when leaving it at a client's house.

More details on decorating it later...!

3 comments: